WE HONOR GAYLE
The Gayle Kennedy Memorial Scholarship is awarded by National Charity League, Inc. (NCL, Inc.) Poway Chapter, in recognition of Gayle Kennedy’s devotion to education and to the community. Scholarships are granted annually to deserving girls from the high schools in the Poway Unified School District. The scholarships are awarded to graduating seniors who have demonstrated a financial need, a commitment to pursuing education as a career choice, a proven track record of volunteering in the community and will be attending a college or university in the Fall.
Gayle Kennedy was a third generation San Diegan, born and raised in La Mesa. She attended Lemon Avenue Elementary, La Mesa Junior High, and Helix High School. She then went on to graduate from San Diego State University majoring in English Literature, and received her teaching credential. Gayle taught English for 12 years in the Poway Unified School District at both Meadowbrook Middle School and Poway High School.
Gayle was a dynamic and loving wife, mother of four children, and devoted her life to her family and education. After retiring from teaching she tirelessly volunteered in the classrooms of Painted Rock Elementary and Twin Peaks Middle School. She later became one of the founding members of NCL, Inc. Poway Chapter, and served as their first Vice President of Philanthropy. In the spring of 2002, Gayle prematurely passed away from ovarian cancer.
ELIGIBILITY & HOW TO APPLY
- Senior girls who have a genuine desire to continue their education may apply.
- Applicants must:
- Attend 1 of the 6 Poway Unified School District high schools
- Plan to pursue a career in education
- Have U.S. Citizenship
- Demonstrate an interest in community service
- Show need of financial assistance
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Exhibit strong moral character
- Plan to attend a college or university in the United States
- Submit a completed National Charity League, Inc. Poway Chapter application form
- Interview with Gayle Kennedy Memorial Scholarship Committee (finalists only)
- National Charity League members, past and present, and their immediate family members are excluded from consideration.
Instructions to Applicants:
- Applications must be submitted to the Counseling Center of your respective high school; please download the application below.
- The deadline for submitting the completed application form to your counselor is March 15, 2020.
- Applicant interviews will be conducted in early April 2020 (exact date pending room availability).
- Scholarship award recipients will be notified at the end of April 2020. Presentation ceremony will be held on Sunday, May 3, 2020.